10/24/11

Technology and Personal Relationships

So I think I missed a week or maybe two of blogging, but that was because two not-so-busy weeks was followed by a very very busy week in which I was working a lot.

It got me to thinking about my personal relationships.  My two not-so-busy weeks allowed me to one go home for a weekend and visit with my friends and family and my free weekend allowed for pretty much the same thing, but allowed for interacting with A LOT of people at a tailgate.  With all this personal interaction that I really don't get that much of during the week, I wondered how technology truly influence my relationships.

Let's go with the first and most important, my family.  I thank god for technology in the form of a cell phone and Facebook because without those two I would not speak to half of my family or know what the heck was going on with them.

My family (especially that mom's side) is EXTREMELY important to me.  So with my cell phone and Facebook I am able to instantly access them whenever possible and I think it has made my relationships stronger.  Plus I get to see their pictures as well which helps for a deeper interaction.

Second, my friendships.  First of all, I know a lot of people. Good or bad, I'm not sure, but I have lived in five different states, had five different jobs in the past five years.  I have worked with and met A LOT of people.  On top of that I was in a sorority in college that had at least 100 members with four years of work that is about 70 "new" friends each year.

Any way - Facebook has allowed me to get in touch with people I never thought I would talk to post college and I think its been great.  PLUS while I was in South Carolina (Chicago, Western NY or Florida) and my friends were in Michigan I was able to easily stay connected to them.  Even though sometimes FBChat seems like a bother, I think it is great because in all honesty if you don't have the time to talk, you just don't take the chat right then.

And finally let's talk about the dating game...I myself have been single for four years.  I dated in guy in college based something I did technologically.  I was bold and it got his attention and we were together for four years...well obviously that didn't work out.  When I moved all these times sometimes it was difficult to meet people so I turned to the internet.  Now there is Match.com, EHarmony, Zoosk, OkCupid, PlentyofFish, just to name of few that are specifically designed websites to help people find a significant other.

I have used these dating sites, some are great, some are okay and some are downright awful.  But it just gets me thinking that I cannot remember the last time I met a new guy anywhere.  I mean yes of course at work, but dating at work is somewhat faux pax. Has technology really made it so that we cannot meet someone new easily without having to jump through hoops of profiles and pictures and random life questions to possibly find someone to have a relationship with?

If it has well...I am doomed.

Until next time.
Grad Girl 6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment